Friday, May 30, 2008

sobering thought.

I must confess, my anxiety level is quite high right now.
My mind is continually racing thinking about ways to improve children's ministry at River Hills. That's not necessarily bad. But, combined with my desire to be a good wife, mom and now grandma... well you get the idea.

The most important part of my job is recruitment.
It's also the most challenging. It's kinda like trying to put hair and a beard on the face of this magnet toy... just when you get close to what you want... it gets messed up.

or
steering a huge ship with a tiny rudder.
or
pushing one of those big shopping carts with the blue double kid seat extension - seriously - it's like driving a school bus down through the grocery.

Well considering my options on creative ways to help people develop a passion for children's ministry, I had a very sobering thought. With the exception of Clark who faithfully serves each week, I am currently the OLDEST person working in children's ministry at our church. It would be my dream to have more mature volunteers to be examples for the younger people to look up to - to say, "I would like to be like _______________. They have been teaching kids their whole life." BTW - we can say that about Clark :) I know we all have role models from our childhood of tireless volunteers who made our church family special.
I'll be 45 very soon. Is that old? Feeling old today.
I hope that I can be one of those role models that people look up to and say, "I want to teach kids, just like her."

No comments: